Saturday 29 November 2008

That chemistry lab…

I used to recollect some of my dreams. I used to get all sorts of weird dreams. I don’t know what it actually means.

In one of my dreams I found myself doing some chemistry experiment. To be more specific I think I was doing some volumetric analysis, because I remember pouring some solution to another and trying to observe some change in colour of the mixed solution. Forget that detail, that’s not important. What happened next was more interesting, at least then. I found only one person in that whole room. I had never met her before, but when ever she gazed at me I got a feeling that she some how knew me already.

She looked very tense, in fact the intensity at which she was doing that experiment I thought it was an exam. Indeed it was an exam, I realized that only when an old person suddenly barged into the room and announced “30 more minutes”. Few minutes later, I finished my experiment and moved towards the chair to do the calculations and other stuff. Her table was very near to my chair. Remaining work what ever I had to do was pretty straight forward, just to substitute the values into the formula and arrive at the result. I was very curious to see what she was doing. I dropped my erasers deliberately so that I could see her while picking it up. She was actually staring me when I saw her, at least at that instant. Suddenly she put her face down when that happened. I was dumb struck, I was clue less. I stopped doing my calculation. I just wanted to know why she was seeing me like that, was it because she was about to call me, was she trying to see what had I written in my paper, was she just looking at board and I felt that as if she was looking at me. Suddenly knowing that became the only intention of my life.

At first I thought of completing the calculation and then talk to her, but then my actual intention were different. I jumped out of my chair and saw if some one was around, when I found it safe I approached her
” hey, do you need some thing…?” I asked her very politely
“NO” that was her tak response
I was not convinced by her response even though she responded sharply. I made one more effort by saying
“I thought you were struggling, so I think I should probably help you in some way orrrr …” it looked like as if I needed some help from her…
“It’s none of your business, can you mind on one that is on your table” I was devastated when she said that. I said nothing and came back to my chair. I thought some one just murdered my ego. I felt like throwing away each and every object near me to Indian Ocean.

After reaching my chair, I had completely lost my mind. I was not able to recollect any formula, forget about formula, I was not even able to recollect the title of the experiment that I had done minutes back. My hatred to her multiplied millions of times. Minutes started moving like seconds, I was able to think absolutely nothing. In the middle of all these things that old person came back asking for answer scripts. She was some how able to finish the experiment but then left with calculations. The old person grabbed the paper ruthlessly even after she strongly pleaded for extra time. I dint even bother to ask for extra time, I just wanted to go out of that room.

I dint want to remember any thing that happened in that room, I knew that I would some how pass for doing the experiment, I also new that completing the calculation would have earned me 95%. I had started moving towards the canteen and I heard a voice saying “hello, excuse me” from back. I turned back and it was her. I dint want to talk to her anymore. I moved faster. She came running and asked me
“Where are you going?”
I quickly replied, rather yelled
“Its none of your business” without even looking at her pretty face.
Immediately, facing me” Oh no, you took it so much badly, is it? I am really, really sorry… I don’t want to go home guilty for two reasons… I was really tensed at that moment … I dint mean what ever I said” almost like begging.
Like any other Hero, I responded “ok, fine… but tell me one thing” and I continued “what’s the second reason to be guilty”
Her response was “to hurt a person”
“Arre, that I got it”
“Oh then you mean the first one?”
I smiled at her innocent answer and replied “oh yes, tell me the first one itself”
“The first one is to do badly in the exam” she gave a confused look…
“You are guilty for that? I can understand you feel bad and all... but seriously guilty?
“Ya, like my parents spend so much money for my education, so I should do my each and every exam well, don’t you think that’s a valid reason to be guilty”
I responded saying “ahh no, I don’t think that way… however, I respect your thought”

After talking with her for some more time we went to have coffee. She told me her school days stories, her stories from her home town, stores of how she got into the college, stories on how she enjoyed playing basket ball. She even paid for the coffee, telling me that’s going to make her feel less guilty. The conversation was just like some movie; the best part was that I was thr in that.

It was almost five in the evening when she decided to leave. I wanted to thank her for all the conversations, I wanted to tell her that she was very sweet, I wanted to say ba bye, but suddenly I heard my mom shouting “ get up, get up… its all ready 8 ‘O clock… do you want to miss your chemistry lab exam”

9 comments:

Mario said...

U actually remember ur dream so clearly? or is there some OC? I specifically liked the words "tak response" and " throwing it in the Indian Ocean"...

Suneel Madhekar said...

Ha ha! That was a super-cool dream! I don't remember the last time the subject of my dream was a girl... Recently, I've had goats, turtles, cockroaches and grasshoppers in my dreams...

I once had a female dog that was chasing me around the colony. I woke up when she bit my leg.

At IISc, I once dreamed that the new hostel block is shaking because of an earthquake... Everybody is trying to get out of the building. I am trying to run down the stairs, but am not able to, because the stairs are blocked by goats... thousands of goats, all of them black... The goats are bleating, and charging at me. Then, I woke up.

somesh said...

U are a dreamer ganesh. nice one , In my version i would have thrown h2so4 on her face if she had told me mind your buisness.....ha ha just kidding

ganesh said...

@Mario,
I am only honest as far as the emotions conveyed are concerned in this post. But I did pick up real characters that I have met and put in the plot. I am not sure weather I have done justice for that in this post.

@Suneel,
by now , if u have read my reply to Mario, u know that it was more of a story that I had built it up. But I do get weird dreams where in which I will be playing for Indian cricket team, lost in some desert, some times I am running indefinitely for some thing...

If you want to know what those goats were doing in your dreams you can probably read "Interpretation of dreams" by Siegmund Freud ( may be u would have already heard of it)

@Somesh
I can understand what makes you say that...

Nalalura said...

Good Dream Ganesh... When you had asked her the first question, probably you might have wanted the CHEMISTRY BETWEEN YOU BOTH TO WORK than working out the mathematics of your chemical experiment.. A very apt title for this particular blog... perhaps you can add more to the title - Chemistry Lab - Place where both chemicals and chemistry between ppl can change colors..
Nice blog though!!
Arul

mitsu said...

Ganesha,
You know what, I completely forgot in the middle that it was infact a dream. Its only at the end that I realised the same. Its like me living in your dream till the last line which woke me up!!!!
The only dreams I had abt my exams is missing questions, going late, ink getting over, getting less marks, failing in some paper, getting really tough questions, blah blah blah!!! I used to be very very happy after learning that it was all in dreams..

Srivatsava Vajapeyam said...

kal nan magne...
chemistry lab-nalli biology plans!!

My three cents said...

jai chem boy

Vikas said...

Super Ganesh ! Nice mix of emotions .... but i would also be interested in reading Suneel's dream with the hundreds of goats at the stairs of New Hostel !!

Hmm ... appears that you have too much free time :) i am sooo jealous dude !!

Keep it up! and all the very best!