Friday 21 November 2008

The pep...

Snoring at 10'O clock was our habit, not getting breakfast in the mess was just one of the consequences. Either of us, who ever got up first jumped into other's room and banged the door, loud enough to wake up the other nocturnals in the hostel. Rakesh, at least had good reasons to be awake late in the night, with all the image processing algorithms and stuff. Next event in the morning was the phone call from Neeraj (my lab mate) asking " kothai" ( which means "where" in Bangla). You will get the Bangla connection in very less time.

Rakesh and myself strolled through the campus to reach the department in the shortest path. Sometimes , rather very occasionally, On our way I used to meet a gal near the library and he used to wait till I completed my conversation with her. After those conversations he used to pull my leg so much that I started ignoring her when ever he was around. We used to split in the department and went to our respective labs to do the so called research.

Our lab meetings never happened in the lab, but in coffee board, which was located diagonally opposite to our department. Madhurima Chattopadhyaya, my another lab mate, annoyed with our ill managed research schedule used to give a stern look after meeting us in coffee board. Neeraj, happens to come up with some or the other Bangla story to change her mood in seconds. The coffee tasted much stronger to Madhurima if we were having a Bangla glorified stories. The stories included names like Satyajith Ray, Sourav Ganguly, Amartya Sen, Mamatha Bannerji etc, and topics like West Bengal politics, Rabindro Sangeeth, Bangla literature, etc. But the evil in Neeraj and me tested her temper by bring up some dark sides of Bangla stories. In one occasion I pronounced West Bengal as Waste Bengal and that had infuriated her like anything. Neeraj and my self never missed a chance in pulling her leg in this front. Never the less, She retaliated with her facts and figures about Karnataka and Bihar, leaving us hiding our faces. Ganapathy Subramanyan, rather Gonapathy, our junior from lab, famous for stretching time limits, used to join the "social networking session" almost in the middle of our conversations or debates. With his entry, stories about Chennai were invariably comprehended into our discussions. Our morning lab meeting were like a forum to understand Unity in Diversity :).

After spending some quantity of time (not sure of the quality) in the lab we used to meet again in the coffee board. The evening coffee sessions were more fun since we had our friends from other labs and other department joining us. We had more leisure in the evening sessions. The discussions were mostly about the proceedings of the day, about some movie, TV show, past experiences or about some professor . On some evenings we had discussions about marriage, love and responsibilities. For instance, one day we were talking about love marriage vs arranged marriage, when I was asked which I prefer ,I had given a quick response as " which ever comes first" and the whole group had laughed at my answer for several minutes. We shared our opinion on various things , cribbed about various issues and on few occasions we discussed some technical stuff as well. The evening coffee sessions ended with Madhurima leaving to play home to pick her daughter up.

After we left IISc even the coffee board was also closed, with that it was like an end of an era for us. To keep a warm feeling, I came up with a new classification of human beings , those who got a chance to have coffee at coffee board and those who dint. I came to Hyderabad and so did Neeraj, on pursuit of corporate career. I happen to meet him today, we had our dinner in some good place and most importantly we went to a place to have coffee. Although we got tea instead of coffeee, we had those discussion which we did each and every day. Those stories in which we irritated Madhurima, those stories of individualism, those stories of girls, those stories of Goa -Gokarna, those stories of our friends... I was not sure when we were going to meeting again , but I always had the habit of telling him what time I was going to meet him next, this time I told him " I will meet you next time probably ... next time when we meet".

14 comments:

W said...

First things first.

Awesome blog !

Made me go hazy eyed from all the nostalgia it raked up. Keep it up, Ganesh !!

As for Ganesh's classification of homo sapiens into two categories based on the "Coffee Board" experience, I gotta agree to every word of that too.

It's a crying shame that people ruin good stuff in life for themselves as well as others because of pathetic reasons. Any IISc-ian worth his salt would let you know just how much the Indian Coffee House aka Coffee Board meant to the whole community there.

How on earth is it possible that the hundreds of scholars at the institute can work together to make faster chips, write smart cool algorithms, explain obscure phenomena of nature and take on problems of business administration with elan, but cannot find a way to bring Coffee Board back ????

Suparna Goswami said...

Very well written...what re u doing in GE??? join some magazine..or newspaper...u will be doing good to people like me..(whe love reading short anecdotes) ..Keep penning more

Suneel Madhekar said...

You write very very well, Ganesh! I was planning to go to bed, but thought I'll read this post and then hit bed... But now, my mind is full of all the things that I did at IISc... All the wonderful people that I met, the wonderful times that I had... Honestly, the most wonderful gift that I found at IISc, was freedom... Freedom of thought and freedom of action. Each of us had our favorite spots but all of us loved Coffee Board. Well, unfortunately, administrators never understand emotions, and if the administration wanted Coffee Board to go, then it had to go... It is sad, but that is how it is.

ganesh said...

@ Wrichik,
thanks for encouragement dude, it does help, in fact i was very happy to see a comment with in few hrs after publishing...

I only wish the institute was democratic at some level.

@Suparna,
its a good feeling, to get such a review from someone from journalism background.

but what makes u think i should not be doing electronics engineering work :)

@Suneel
I am really happy that u dint go horizontal before reading my blog.

IISc, was a great experience to me as well for the very same reason that u have mentioned... At some level I abused it, but what I gained was worth it. Interaction with ppl around made it much more than staying in a garden. Closing coffee board was more depressing than getting a D grade :)

Unknown said...

really rockin....we want more! we want more!...
something on S block tooo

vinayendra

Mario said...

when it comes to coffee board, I can just remember "Constrained Lifestyle"... I was a more t-board wala.... :D

ganesh said...

@ Vinayendra
Thanks dude...

stories on S-block will definitely come, its still not over, I am still a resident of it... so many characters will be thr in it, Hasan, Mario, urself, Sumit, Mehul, Rakesh, Gonapathy, Ritesh, Manjesh, many more...

And some late night conversations especially with you, I can never forget...

@ Mario,
Yes, CONSTRAINED LIFE STYLE... I did remember that before writing this article, u know I cant elaborate on it here... but I wanted it to mentioned some how, so that if I see this blog after some years I can still recollect that thought, which I never practiced...

I remember u bringing the tea from the tea board to coffee board and returning back the cup after. But U were thr with us in many evening sessions, right?

Mario said...

yes... even some of the morning sessions.... :)

I understand u cannot expand (on it) here.... ;oD

Srivatsava Vajapeyam said...

Wonderful Ganesha....
Never thought you could write so well. I absolutely loved it, mainly because I could connect to the two posts.
Sad to know that coffee board is down. Ya, coffee was good there, but then, I used to like 'Khara Bath' there... btw, now that you are in Hyd, you should know what 'krara bath' is popularly called there?? Avalenaa.. ee story-li iro hudugi??

indu said...

wow..Ganesh...u write very well...i always knew you were good at talking and speaking your mind...but dint know abt ur writing skills :-)

while reading about your discussions in coffee board..i was reminded about all the long chats the whole group had at mess and in basketball court ..

keep writing
Indu

ganesh said...

@Mario
Indeed u were, but you were not capable of giving regionalist opinions :)

Out of curiosity, do you still practice “constrained life style”:) From here, we can take it offline…

@Thatha
Thanks kano…
I used to have idly vada almost daily, but my friend Neeraj used to be a big fan of Kesari bath… Not much of a Kara bath… but I get your evil intent here :)… she was not the one… One gal from pure science division…

@Indhu
Your comment makes me feel good, thanks...

Who can forget that “women empowering” discussion… At least I can never forget that day for sure… if you remember, after having dinner, we went to Basket ball court and had that discussion along with Hari, Mario, Neeraj, Rakesh… then we thought of doing a painting and suddenly I realized that I left my laptop in the mess itself… after all the conversations and telephone conversations with the security, finally getting back my lovely laptop from the mess we returned to room to do the painting which btw after spending 2 hrs we dint start…

Srivatsava Vajapeyam said...

oh.. Ganesha....
No 'evil' intentions!! just pulling your leg..
btw, you have impressed so many people with your writing... I 'challenge' you to write one full post without pulling individual hair strands!!! I know you cant!! agree on this??
more seriously, looking forward for more..

rishika said...

Even though I was not part of your coffee meetings, somehow I could relate to this post. Wonderfully nostalgic. :)

ganesh said...

@rishika: beete hue lamhon ki kasak? :)